The Buzz: St. Benedict Preparatory School Online Weekly Newsletter
Important Dates –
- June 18th - 1st Day of Summer Camp
- August 3rd - Last Day of Summer Camp
In this section...
- Kindergarten Medical Physical Requirements
- Benny's Best
- Summer Camp Information and Registration
- How to Become an Approved Volunteer
- Sick student guidelines
Incoming Kindergarten Students Need IMPORTANT MEDICAL FORMS BEFORE THEY BEGIN SCHOOL
Looking ahead to the 2018-2019school year, please take a moment to ensure you have the medical forms required in order for your child to begin Kindergarten in August. The forms are available on the school’s website for downloading to bring to your child's appointment (Click here).
PLEASE SEE THE INFORMATION BELOW TO REVIEW ALL REQUIREMENTS AS PRESCRIBED BY ILLINOIS LAW. Students NOT meeting said requirements may not attend school until all obligations are fulfilled. PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS IMPORTANT STEP.
CERTIFICATE OF CHILD HEALTH EXAMINATION FORM – IMPORTANT FYI
** Current exam must be completed after January 1, 2018
** Physician must sign all portions
** Parents must complete and sign the “Health History”
** The vaccination section must be completed by your healthcare provider. Please do not attach a separate document.
Medication at School? If your child MUST take a medication during school hours you will need our medication packet, which includes forms to be completed by you and your child’s physician. Please let Nurse Perez know if you need to complete a medication packet. If your child needs to use an asthma inhaler, an “authorization for self-administration of asthma medication’ MUST BE on file before the first day of school. Please contact Heather Perez at email@example.com for a copy of this form.
Allergies? If your child has a food allergy, please contact Heather Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org She will then have available for pick up an Individual Care Plan for you and your child’s physician to complete.
State of Illinois Physical and Immunization Requirements for Students Entering KINDERGARTEN
1. HEALTH EXAMINATION – conducted within one year
- Physical Exam – signed and dated by doctor
- Immunizations – signed and dated by doctor
- Medical History – filled out and signed by a parent
- Physical Education –checked off by doctor
- Mandatory Diabetes Risk Assessment
2. REQUIRED IMMUNIZATIONS
- DPT – 4 or more doses – last booster after 4th birthday
- Polio – 3 or more doses - last booster after 4th birthday
- MMR – 2 doses – 1st dose after 12 months, 2nd dose no less than one month later
- Varicella Vaccine/Chickenpox - on or after 1st birthday (or proof of disease and date documented by doctor)
3. STATE REQUIRED LEAD ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE. FOR THOSE LIVING IN ZIP CODE 60456, A LEAD BLOOD TEST IS REQUIRED. The health form must indicate the date the assessment/test was administered by your doctor.
4. DENTAL EXAMINATION
5. EYE EXAMINATION by an opthamologist – required by state law as of January 1, 2008.
6. TUBERCULOSIS SKIN TEST (Mantoux type) – strongly recommended
Students not meeting the above requirements will be EXCLUDED from school.
Benny's Best - Ms. Landgren and Ms. Soto's Class Rm 111
Just as in the elementary school, the preschoolers have been working hard on learning the school rules and procedures and have been learning the difference between 'green' (good) and 'red' (not so good) choices. The students have learned what they need to do to respectful, responsible, ready and safe. Each preschool class will have a turn to be recognized as "Benny's Best" and share with everyone how their class demonstrates those ideas.
Respectful - We respect the ideas of our classmates. - We walk through the halls level zero so that we don’t interrupt learning going on! - We share with our classmates.
Responsible - We wash our hands before we eat to keep ourselves healthy. - We treat our classroom and the items in our classroom with care. - When we go to CHAMPS classes, we make green choices
Ready - When we have to clean up, we put everything away and move on to our next activity right away. - When rotating through centers, we clean up from our last center and promptly move to our next center. - We listen to directions so that we know what we are supposed to be doing.
Safe - We only run when we are outside or in gym class! - When we are walking between classes, we walk.
CAMP BENGAL 2018
Have your Child Spend His/Her Summer with Us! Summer Camp Registration is NOW OPEN
- Themed - based creative and exploratory camps for Grades Preschool - Grade 2
- Athletic Camps for grades 1-8
- Summer Vacation Bible School - SHIPWRECKED
- Jump into Kindergarten with Ms. Tarris
How to Become and Approved Volunteer: Compliance Procedures for All Volunteers
The St. Benedict Prep community welcomes volunteers to help provide students with the best educational environment and opportunities possible. We depend on family support to carry out our mission to inspire and cultivate a balance of faith, academic excellence, and individual talents in a diverse setting.
ALL VOLUNTEERS need to complete the following training and forms before they can volunteer for the school or parish events that involve positions of trust or working with children:
1. Complete an online criminal background check. CLICK HERE to begin the process. A few notes about the registration page: The access code is "protection"; choose "Archdiocese of Chicago", not "Religious Community...Volunteer." Once the registration page is completed, a checklist of pages to complete will follow. All pages must be completed before you can submit the background screening.
2. Attend Virtus/Protecting God's Children for Adults. Go to www.virtus.org, and select Registration on the left panel. Note: all participants must pre-register online to attend. Upon completion you will be given a certificate which should be turned in to the school.
3. Read and sign the Code of Conduct form and turn in to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the Code of Conduct form.
4. Complete Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking Form (CANTS). Return completed form to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the CANTS form.
We do not want to disappoint any potential volunteers or turn any volunteers away. If you have any questions, please contact either Mrs. Christine Clardy at email@example.com or Ms. Rachel Gemo at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also check with Mrs. Dodovich (email@example.com) in the office to confirm that all your requirements are fulfilled to be a volunteer at SBPS, including being a chaperone on a field trip.
If your child is sick...
Please remember to call and inform the school secretary that your child is sick, and speak to our school nurse, Heather Perez, as well. Your child MUST be fever-free for 24 hours before he/she can return to school.