The Buzz: St. Benedict Preparatory School Online Weekly Newsletter
Important Dates –!
- September 22nd - Fun Run Day!
- September 27th - Kindergarten Field Trip to the Apple Orchard
- September 29th - No School - Professional Development day
- October 3rd - Preschool Field Trip to the Fire Zone for Mrs. Christy, Ms. Gelfand and Ms. Hayes
- October 3rd - Progress Reports go home for Kindergarten
- October 4th - Preschool Field Trip to the Fire Zone for Ms. Granitz, Ms. Elliott and Mrs. Blazek
- October 5th - Preschool Field Trip to the Fire Zone for Ms. Landgren, Mrs. Kattner and Mrs. Pikulski
- October 5th - Parent/teacher conferences from 3:40-7:40 pm
- October 6th - No School - Parent/teacher conferences from 8:00-12:00
- October 9th - No School - Columbus Day
- October 13th - Grandparents and friends day (more details to come soon!)
In this section...
- Fun Run Info
- Parent/Teacher Conference Info
- After School Club information
- Kindergarten Lunch Room Sign Up Genius
- Box Tops Update
- How to Become an Approved Volunteer
- Quest Lunch menu and prices
- Sick student guidelines
Fun Run Day is HERE!!!!
Tomorrow will be our third annual Fun Run. The students and teachers have learning about many different character traits through the Castle Quest theme and working together to raise funds to support our school. Tomorrow is our BIG Fun Run day. Parents and friends are invited to come to the courtyard to watch their student run and cheer everyone on. All spectators should report directly to the courtyard.
- Preschool Fun Run - 8:45-9:45
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade Fun Run - 12:30-1:30
Students in Kindergarten should wear their gym uniform, they will change into their ORANGE Fun Run shirts when they arrive at school.
Student in Preschool should have on proper clothing and footwear for running. Parents, please plan to come to the classroom and help change your child into his/her ORANGE Fun Run shirt.
Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, October 5th from 3:40-7:40 pm and Friday, October 6th from 8:00-12:00. Thursday is a regular school day, please note there is no school on Friday. Each family should schedule a conference with each child(ren)'s teacher(s). You should have received an email from your child(ren)'s teacher(s) on Tuesday with a link to a Sign-Up Genius. If you did not receive this email, please contact your child's teacher. If you have any questions about conferences, please ask your child's teacher.
Fall Clubs for Kindergarten
- K-1 Art Club with Ms. Tarris - Click here for flyer
- K-2 Coding Club with Mrs. Hoban - Click here for flyer
- MAD SCIENCE FLYER
- CHESS ACADEMY FLYER
- Super Soccer Stars - Click here for flyer (please note that this clubs starts at 3:00)
- K-1 Building Club with Ms. Kelley - Click here for flyer
Box Tops Update
We have $625 in our account from the final submission made last year which will be paid in December (Thanks again to Virginia Oviedo Fiske for her clipping and bagging on that!) and we have a goal to collect $1500 more this year. We need $750 in fall and $750 in spring to achieve this goal.
The fall submission is due November 1. I will be posting reminders in the Buzz to clip and bag and drop your submission in either robot (in room across from Mrs. D in the elementary building and in the PK building foyer) for the next 6 weeks. Please make every effort to clip them from the box (if you don't I have to) and to put them in a plastic baggie that closes at the top (not fold over). We have to submit the clipped BoxTops in baggies of 50 and we reuse what you provide (another savings!). No clipping contest this fall, so submit as you go. We will be working on a replacement for our elementary school robot--stay tuned for updates!
LAST CALL FOR SOUP-Campbell's Labels for Education final year
As you may recall from last year, Campbell's is winding down the Labels for Education program. Most Campbell's products no longer carry the Labels of Education CPU but they are still accepting old labels through this year. I am making one last drive for any Labels for Education you may have so we can order another set of playground balls (and maybe a final PK Turtle Person:)) this spring. Please only submit labels with the CPU--plain soup can labels do not count towards the program. You can deposit the labels, again in plastic baggies with a sealed top, in the BoxTops Robots.
As always we appreciate your contributions and keep clipping!
Jen DeMay (Van Dyke kids' mom)
How to Become and Approved Volunteer: Compliance Procedures for All Volunteers
The St. Benedict Prep community welcomes volunteers to help provide students with the best educational environment and opportunities possible. We depend on family support to carry out our mission to inspire and cultivate a balance of faith, academic excellence, and individual talents in a diverse setting.
ALL VOLUNTEERS need to complete the following training and forms before they can volunteer for the school or parish events that involve positions of trust or working with children:
1. Complete an online criminal background check. CLICK HERE to begin the process. A few notes about the registration page: The access code is "protection"; choose "Archdiocese of Chicago", not "Religious Community...Volunteer." Once the registration page is completed, a checklist of pages to complete will follow. All pages must be completed before you can submit the background screening.
2. Attend Virtus/Protecting God's Children for Adults. Go to www.virtus.org, and select Registration on the left panel. Note: all participants must pre-register online to attend. Upon completion you will be given a certificate which should be turned in to the school.
3. Read and sign the Code of Conduct form and turn in to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the Code of Conduct form.
4. Complete Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking Form (CANTS). Return completed form to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the CANTS form.
We do not want to disappoint any potential volunteers or turn any volunteers away. If you have any questions, please contact either Mrs. Christine Clardy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Rachel Gemo at email@example.com. You may also check with Mrs. Dodovich (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the office to confirm that all your requirements are fulfilled to be a volunteer at SBPS, including being a chaperone on a field trip.
Quest Lunch Prices
The Quest lunch menu (for PS & K-5, same menu this year) can be found on RenWeb. To access the lunch menu on your RenWeb account...
- Go to Student Information
- at bottom of page, find :This Week's Lunch Menu (scroll by day)
- on the same page, find & click :LUNCH MENU & ORDERING
- you will be brought to a calendar
- you can choose a time frame of day/week/month
- (the ordering portion is not set up yet)
At this time, students who purchase selections in the lunch room are billed to an account. You may also choose to send in cash with your child, but please mark the envelope with name, amount and purpose of the money!
Lunch Prices (Quest) - Kindergarten only (PS is included in tuition)
- Milk $0.50
- Bottled Water $0.50
- Hot Lunch (includes choice of milk or water) $4.00
- Power Lunch (includes choice of milk or water) $4.00
- (Power Lunch is a bagged lunch with protein options like yogurt, fruit, etc.)
If your child is sick...
Please remember to call and inform the school secretary that your child is sick, and speak to our school nurse, Heather Perez, as well. Your child MUST be fever-free for 24 hours before he/she can return to school.