The Buzz: St. Benedict Preparatory School Online Weekly Newsletter
In This Section:
- CLASS OF 2018- END OF YEAR INFORMATION AND LETTER--NEW!
- Exam Schedule for 11th graders
- Agora Week 2018-blogs
- Work Study
- Protege Program 2018
- College Scholarship Information
- ATTENTIONS JUNIORS: TAX CREDIT SCHOLARSHIPS (NEW INFORMATION)
SAVE THE DATES!
- Friday, May 18th - International Fair in Beaven
- Tuesday, May 22nd - Junior Leadership Mass in Church @ 8:30 am in Church
- Wednesday, May 23rd - Secondary Spring Concert in Secondary Gym
- Friday, May 25th - Final House Pep Rally in Secondary Gym
- Tuesday May 29th 9:30am Baccalaureate Mass
- Thursday, May 31st - Protege Event in Beaven @7pm
- Saturday, June 2nd - Senior Graduation @ 10 am in Church
- Wednesday June 6th & Thursday June 7th-- 11th Grade Exams
- June 8th--Last day of school-Dismissal at noon.
CLASS OF 2018---END OF YEAR LETTER
Please click here for a letter detailing all the information for the Senior Class of 2018.
11th GRADE EXAMS: (for 12th graders exam schedule please click the letter above)
WEDNESDAY, June 6th
8:15-9:45 PERIOD 1 EXAM
10:15-11:45 PERIOD 2 EXAM
1:30-3:00 PERIOD 3 EXAM
THURSDAY, JUNE 7
8:15-9:45 PERIOD 5 EXAM
10:15-11:45 PERIOD 6 EXAM
11:45 GRADES 11 DISMISSED
BLOGS: AGORA WEEK 2018
We are excited to have our students depart on the 4th year of our Agora program! Please keep our students and teachers in your prayers as they travel and explore our world! The blogs for each experience are listed below:
Art & Architecture
URGENT: WORK STUDY
All work study balances must be completed or all balances will be added to your May tuition bill. If you had remaining hours your work study account as of March 27 was given to your student. Please see below for important details:
- All work study hours must be worked or converted to tuition dollars.
- Please inform us of your intentions by Monday, April 16 if you wish to complete hours or convert to tuition.
- Up to 25% of allotted hours can be carried over into next year and worked during the summer months.
- Hours must be worked or converted to tuition dollars.
- Please inform us of your intentions by Monday, April 16 if you wish to complete hours or convert to tuition
- Hours must be completed or tuition paid in order to participate in graduation or senior class activities.|
- Up to 25% of allotted hours can be worked during the summer. However, diplomas will be withheld until work study or tuition equivalent is completed or paid.
If you have to submit hours please submit using this work study form
WORK STUDY OPPORTUNITIES:
SIGN UP GENIUS FOR DAILY WORK STUDY:
ANNOUNCING PROTEGE PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS 2018!
The Protege Internship Program at St. Benedict Preparatory School was created out of the desire to better prepare our students for life after graduation. And it does! Qualified seniors are able to have paid internships in the field they are planning to major in once they enter college
Protege Candidate/Protege Partner
- Adelaide Ambort - Chicago Vein Institute
- Fabiola Avila - Infant Welfare Society of Chicago
- Mira Cohen - Heartland Alliance
- Elizabeth Colunga - Weiss Memorial Hospital
- Kenneth Cortes - The Fit Institute
- Elizabeth Dilendorf - Joel Hall Dancers & Center
- Abigail Garcia - Coonley Elementary School
- Dominique Ghuneim - Weiss Memorial Hospital
- Amanda Gonzalez - PAWS
- Jiani Li - Duke Animal Hospital
- Mariah Maldonado - Erie Elementary Charter School
- Taylor Martin - Weiss Memorial Hospital
- Kieu Nguyen - Weiss Memorial Hospital
- Mylan Nguyen - Chicago Mosiac School
- Nicole Pagan - St. Benedict Preparatory School
- Mario Pedraza - Athletico
- Juan Perez - Walsh Construction
- Tatyana Sargent Lauren Lein Ltd.
- Adolfo Segovia - Quriosity Productions
- Mona Wang - Lakeview Smiles
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP RESOURCE:
Looking for Scholarships to help pay for college? Follow this link: https://www.collegegreenlight.com/ to set up a profile and get matched with private scholarships for which you can apply. Private scholarships are scholarships (money you do NOT need to pay back) offered by independent groups and organizations.
Some scholarships require more in depth applications than others. Once you fill out your profile on College Greenlight, use the "Scholarships" tab to see all of the requirements, deadlines, and necessary materials for applications to these scholarships. This service is free and will connect you to the many scholarships that are available outside of Colleges, Universities, and the Federal and State Governments.
See Ms. Fahrenbach if you have any questions.
JUNIORS ONLY: TAX CREDIT SCHOLARSHIPS -UPDATED INFORMATION
Dear Class of 2019 Families
COMING SOON: STEP 2 OF THE EMPOWEr ILLINOIS APPLICATION
After the initial application is completed on February 27th, Empower Illinois will send each applicant a link to complete the application with tax documents, etc. This will be done on a rolling basis so that the technology works.
When you receive this link, you will have three days to complete the application but internet speed is not required for this part as you have already secured your spot in line on February 27th.
You can make an appointment with Dr. Mickelburgh or Mr. Mazzone if you need assistance with this part of the process. firstname.lastname@example.org or Bmazzone@stbenedict.com
COLLEGE PLANNING TIMELINES:
College is right around the corner! Please review these timelines to ensure that your student is on track for the road to college!
Teacher Time - Fridays Mornings
New this year is Teacher Time Fridays for teachers in Middle School and High School. This means that teachers will not be seeing any students before school for tutoring, reassessments or tutoring Friday Mornings this year. This does not alter the normal arrival times. This is only for students that plan to come in "early" to see the teacher. This time is dedicated to teacher collaboration and innovation. Thanks for your support!
After School Building Access Changes for Grades 11-12
In an effort to strengthen our school safety and ensure all students are supervised after school please follow the guidelines regarding where students may go after school. Please make arrangements to pick your student up in a timely manner when the building closes. Should students not follow these guidelines or not be picked up in a timely manner the Administration may request a meeting with the family to discuss disciplinary action.
3:45pm- All students must be out of the foyers (front HS and gym lobby). Students may be in Study Center, Library.
· Study Center (Library)- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday3:20-4:30
Students should exit through 3911 N. Bell Ave.
3:45pm- The Leavitt Street Byron and Bell buildings. No student may be in these buildings after this time unless they are participating in a school-sanctioned event or working with individual teachers. If you cannot pick up your child by this time you must make arrangements or they must go to the study center. Students must be picked up from 3911 N. Bell.
Please click here for the 2017-2018 High School student handbook. The handbook will not be printed in the student agenda this year.
GRADE 11-12 BOOKLIST
In order to prepare for the school year please click here for the 17-18 High School Booklist. All books must be brought to the 1st day of school.