Patrick Hefferman Journalism Award
*Open only to current students
ABOUT: This award is in memory of Pat Heffernan ‘72, editor of the school newspaper, The Scope. A $500 scholarship is awarded annually to a creative writing candidate with a principal, teacher, parish or community leader recommendation who exhibit outstanding qualities in the area of journalism, of character and responsibility. Students must also complete a personal essay on their current interest in writing and journalism in the future. Final candidates may need to interview with members of St. Benedict Preparatory High School Administration. An example of creative writing such as a poem or piece of prose can be included with the essay to assist the committee. The award recipient will need to participate in the school journalism program and/or the yearbook committee at St. Benedict Preparatory High School for the school year the scholarship is awarded.
- Applicant must be a current student at St. Benedict Prep High School.
- Applicant’s recommendation must demonstrate evidence of good character and responsibility.
- Applicant must personally compose an essay that explains his/her interest in writing currently.
- Completed application form.
- Student composed interest in writing essay as described above.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from the student’s teacher, administrator, or parish/community leader.
- Be available for an interview if selected as one of the finalists.