F&S Dashboard: St. Benedict Prep Faculty & Staff Weekly Newsletter
Ms. Rachel Gemo's Notes
Head of Parish School (PK-12)
In This Week's Notes For Your Reference
- Last Time Sheets - last one due on Thursday
- Some reminders about closing your classroom
- Saving Lesson and Unit Plans in RENWEB - directions
- Teacher Laptops and Summer
- Important - Archiving Teacher Digital Communications and Unit/Lesson Plans
- End of Year Faculty and Staff Celebration - RSVP
- June PD days
- School Supplies - please conserve
- Reminder about 2016-17 Teacher Contract
- BenFest Save the Date
- Important Dates for the 2017-18 School Year Calendar (Updated on 6-4)
LAST TEACHER ATTENDANCE SHEET/TIME SHEETS
Teachers will be turning in a Time Sheet on Monday (June 12th) as well as another one on Thursday, June 15th. Please be sure to complete both this week. You can turn Thursday's in before you leave. Thanks!
Some Reminders for Closing and Cleaning Your Room for Summer (or for the next teacher)
- Your HOS should have given you directions on how to close up your classroom for the end of the year. Here are a few other things to keep in mind:
- If something is broken, please put in a MAXPANDA so it can get fixed. This does not apply to window along Leavitt in building one. We know they are in bad shape. We hope to get them fixed as it is a part of the next phase of the capital campaign/master plan.
- Area Rugs - do not roll up. Leave them out. They will be cleaned.
- Stuff on top of your teacher desk - please put things in drawers or in a box. Don't leave out and set up because it will be moved.
- Cleaning of classrooms will commence Monday, June 26th - They will start on the third floor and work their way down to the first floor.
- Please label your stuff. We may need to move classrooms. The cleaning company will do this. We will give teachers a heads up before we move it.
- Please don't leave loose tech stuff in your room - turn it in to LOUIE and Denisa
Saving Lesson and Unit Plans in RenWeb - Directions
Since RenWeb is still new (being that we haven't had a full year cycle, some people may be wondering how to save lesson plans and unit plans in RenWeb so it doesn't all have to be re-entered next year if you are teaching the same classes. There is a way to save the unit/lesson as a master.
Here is the link to the directions of how to create/save to a Master Lesson Plan. Teachers would be working with the STAFF not SCHOOL Master Plan. This applies directly to each individual teacher and the courses they teach. I'm under the impression that it should load to the particular class next year (if the instructor is assigned to the same course next year). Teachers should also be able to log into the previous year and upload/copy next year. There is also an 11 min video on the link that should show you how to do it. Seems easy-just not sure exactly how time consuming it really is??
Teacher Laptops and Summer
Ideally, we will collect all school issued laptops by June 15th, the last day of teacher contracts. However, we realize this may be the only device a teacher may have access to over the summer. If you need your school issued laptop over the summer for classes, for summer classes you are doing for St. Ben's, for summer work on unit planning, etc, please complete the google form below. If you would like to keep your school issued laptop over the summer, please complete the following short google form. If you will NOT be keeping your laptop over the summer months, there is no need to complete this form. Please just turn your laptop in to the tech department by June 15th. Thanks!
If you are keeping your teacher laptop, we will be collected ALL OF THEM during the first week of August. Teachers will be receiving BRAND NEW Lenovo YOGA STYLE laptops in August. We will use the older teacher laptops to create a "laptop cart" so to speak for elementary school grades who will not be transitioning to the One to One environment next year.
Regardless if you are keeping your laptop or not, PLEASE PLEASE back up all your docs and files on the server, and external drive or some cloud option such as Dropbox or Google docs. The laptops will be wiped clean so to speak and re-imaged in August. If you have any questions, please see the tech department.
Please use this link to keep your laptop over the summer: https://docs.google.com/a/stbenedict.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdVVXwTDbuJZ5giTYGqiV_xfAXF2qNVWJca-aJ_JticeFD_2g/viewform?usp=sf_link
Important - Archiving Teacher Digital Communications and Unit/Lesson Plans
Retention of Important Teacher Files Procedures - Please read carefully and follow directions
1) We are expected and required to archive any and all teacher and staff communications through email. We live in quite a "sue-crazy" society, and sometimes the most benign email from a teacher to a parent or a teacher to a student, can mean the difference if a teacher/school has solid standing or not-so-solid standing in contentious issues. Trust me, some of the craziest things happen - and emails make all the difference. So...please do NOT delete your email. If you are staying, you should "label" and archive them if you need to clean out your inbox. If you are leaving St. Ben's at the end of this year, again, please do not delete them. We will make your email account go "dormant" but we will not delete the account. This way if we ever needed something for legal purposes, we have access. If you are worried about personal things in your email, again, I wouldn't worry too much. We don't have the time to look through them to find any potential embarrassing or sensitive stuff. We've got a lot of other things to do..and if we had that much time, we'd take our vacation days instead. Bottom line - don't delete your emails. Ever. Trust me. If you know you are leaving and have done this already, let Louie know. We have a window of time to have Google reinstate them for us.
2) Teacher Files - Teachers are required to turn in their lesson plans and grade books at the end of each year. The grade books are legal documents that the school needs to retain should a family ever contest the grades of a student. Further, lesson plans are important because they document what was hopefully taught in the course of a year. Teachers staying may want to keep their plans obviously to build on them and revise as necessary. Returning teachers should just make sure their HOS is shared on their lesson plans. I'm thinking that this has already happened. However, please make sure this is the case if it is not already.
Teachers leaving would naturally want a copy of them for themselves as they move on to other endeavors. So non-returning teachers should leave their electronic copies in their school's gmail account and make sure their HOS is shared on the document. Then, email a copy or duplicate the lesson plans in a personal -- private gmail account if you prefer to keep it in gmail. Or just download copies and save them. Again, these are important school records that need to be turned in at the end of the year. If you have any questions, please let me know.
On Wednesday, June 14th starting at 1:30 pm we will have our faculty and staff end of year celebration at Whirlyball on Webster Ave. We will have a Whirlyball court and bowling alley for 2 hours, appetizers, and pop available. You are welcome to participate in Whirlyball and/or bowling or neither and just come to enjoy everyone's company! HSA has graciously offered to pay for the cost of the food, the Faculty Life committee has put all extra dues toward this party, as well. The cost per person is $15 and MUST be paid by June 6th to a member of the Faculty Life committee. This amount is non-refundable. There is also a 3 hour wristband available for the bar (must be paid for in advance) for $30 (includes house wine, spirits and beer). Once you have paid, be sure to look for the Whirlyball team sign-up poster in the Faculty Lounge. Have questions?? Ask someone on the committee (Kaylee T, Betty B, Molly K, Emily M, Maggie D, Janet G, Rachel W) We look forward to seeing you all on June 14th!
June Professional Development Days
Although the last official day of school is Friday, June 9th, teachers are expected to report the following week Monday, June 12th through Thursday, June 15th for professional development, year end closing activities and room cleaning. Your respective Head of School is working on the schedule for those last four days. Please plan to be present. More details to come.
School Supplies - Please Save and Conserve
This is just a reminder that left over school supplies should not be handed out to the kids to take home at the end of the year. If they are new or relatively new, they should be inventoried, stored and secured for the coming school year. Additionally, teachers should consider accepting any student "donations" of hardly used or new school supplies that the students would typically throw in the garbage. Each year, (our older students in particular), throw out good school supplies. We can reuse them for students who need the supplies, etc. So, please monitor student disposal at the end of the year and let's be good stewards. Of course, if the student would like to take home their personal items, of course they should.
Reminder about 2016-17 Teacher Contracts
- Your final paycheck for the 16-17 school year will be issued on Friday, June 30th
- Teachers are expected to be present through Thursday, June 15th regardless of status for next year (non-renewed, not returning, returning, etc.)
- The first paycheck of the 2017-18 teacher contracts will be Friday, July 14th
- Sick Days not used will accrue for the following year for returning faculty
Warm weather and summer is right around the corner and that means so is BenFest 2017!
Mark your calendars for July 14th-16th for St. Ben’s annual BenFest!
Important Dates for the 2017-18 School Year (always tentative, but quite firm)
Monday, August 14th First Day for teachers new to St. Benedict- new teacher orientation
Monday, August 14th - Handwriting Without Tears Training - for teachers of grades K-3
Tuesday, August 15th First Day of Teacher Contracts and Professional Development
Monday, August 21st, 6th Grade Orientation and Elementary Teacher Meet and Greet
Tuesday, August 22nd, First Day of School Grades 1-5, 6-12