Agora - Experiential Learning
Following in the Footsteps of St. Paul
*This is a NEW addition for Agora 2015-16
CLICK HERE for the AGORA Program Overview
St. Paul spent most of his Christian life traveling over thousands of miles by land and sea. Most of these journeys were done in the lands of present day Turkey, Greece and Italy. While Paul had to cover most of the area on foot, our journey through the same routes will not be as difficult. Known as Saul, St. Paul was born in Tarsus, in what is modern-day Turkey. After his conversion on the road to Damascus, he became one of the most notable Christian missionaries, first converting Jews, then Gentiles on three journeys throughout Turkey and Greece between about AD 47 and 57. The apostle’s letters to the Ephesians, Corinthians, and others are a prominent source of information about the early Christian church and a significant influence on Christian thinking to this day. This is a pilgrimage of a lifetime and we are thrilled to host this trip for our students.
Grades 9-12 and possible 7th-8th grade students with administrative approval; adults are also welcome to travel with this group
*All payments will be made directly to Perillo Tours
Cost: Greece/Turkey Only
Students: approximately $3775
Adults: approximately $3925
Pre-tour Rome Extension (click here for more information about this optional trip):
Students: additional $890
Adults: additional $915
Tour price includes:
· Round trip Economy round trip airfare from Chicago to Athens
· Current Airline tax and surcharges
· 2 night accommodation in Holiday Inn hotel or similar in Thessaloniki
· 1 night accommodation in Amalia hotel or similar in Kalambaka
· 2 night accommodation in Amalia hotel or similar in Athens
· Perillo Tours English Speaking Faith Journey Tour Manager
· Arrival and departure airport transfers
· 4 day guided tour (starting in Thessaloniki-ending in Athens) with A/C motor coach & English speaking guide, entrance fees to Philippi, Vergina & two Monasteries in Meteora
· Transfer Athens hotel / Piraeus port
· 3-night cruise with Louis Cruise Line in an Outside cabin
· Port charges and service fees (current $141 per person)
· Shore excursion to Ancient Ephesus and Virgin Mary house
· Shore excursion to Monastery of St John and Grotto of Apocalypse
· Tour to Ancient Corinth and Athens upon disembarkation including entrance fees.
· Breakfast daily
· Daily dinners (8 dinners total) without drinks
· Breakfast, lunch & dinner daily on cruise
· Daily Mass upon request
· Porterage of 1 piece of luggage per person
· Gratuities to the tour manager, local guides and bus driver
· Drinks with meals
· Luggage handling at the airport and travel insurance
Faculty: Rachel Gemo is the Head of the Parish School. She has been “on the block” for twelve years serving previously as the principal of the Elementary school. Prior to coming to St. Ben’s she taught Middle School Language Arts, Religion, Social Studies and Science. In recent years she has traveled to China, Israel, Spain, Italy and Ecuador learning about cross-cultural education. She has experience leading students in international travel and is looking forward to this journey. She is excited to introduce students to the interesting and significant life of St. Paul and help them understand his extraordinary impact not only on Christian faith, but world history.
Mary Deletioglu is embarking on her sixth year teaching at St. Ben’s. She is the Chair of the Math Department and teaches all things mathematical. She has earned her BA and M.ED from DePaul University. She is eager and excited to share her cultural background & understandings with her students.
Father Jason has been the pastor of St. Benedict Parish for three years and is no stranger to leading groups overseas. Last year he led a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. He also was one of the chaperones for our Washington D.C. trip last year. Father Jason is looking forward to this journey in the steps of St. Paul.