Dear Elementary School Families,
On behalf of the staff and faculty at St. Benedict, we would like to welcome you to the 2018- 2019 school year. We hope that you and your family had a joyous summer filled with adventure, relaxation and memories to last a lifetime. We are excited about the new school year and all that we have in store. We look forward to working with you and your continual partnership in order to ensure our children can become the best possible versions of themselves. We hope you will join us for Teacher Meet and Greet on Tuesday, August 21st at 4:30pm. We welcome grades 1 - 8th back this Wednesday, August 22nd for the first day of school. Please note the that Grade Band Instrument Try Outs are Friday, August 29th. Also, mark your calendars for Back to School night on August 29th for K-5 Back to School Night as well as the always spirited and fun Parent Mixer. We are excited to see and meet you! I hope your child is enjoying Read Around the Block this summer. Happy Reading!
- Rachel Waldron - Head of Lower School
- Mary Deletioglu - Head of Upper School
Upcoming Dates to Know
- Tuesday, August 21st - 1st-5th Grade Teacher Meet and Greet - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, August 22nd - First day of 1st-8th Grade!
- Friday, August 24th Grade Band Instrument Try Outs
- Wednesday, August 29th - K-5 Back to School Night - 6:30 - 8:30pm
- Monday, September 3rd - No School - Labor Day
- Tuesday, September 4th - Read Around the Block Celebration
- Tuesday, September 4th - Back to School Mass
- Friday, September 7th - All School Spirit Wear
- Friday, September 7th - Parent Mixer
In this Issue
- Teacher Meet & Greet
- Read Around the Block Summer 2018
- Morning Drop-Off Reminder
- Reading Specialist
- Delay in 5th & 6th Laptop Delivery
- Teacher Time Friday Mornings
- Fourth & Fifth to Eat lunch in the Cafeteria
- How to Become an Approved Volunteer
We Hope to See You at Teacher Meet & Greet!
It's a GREAT WAY to start off the school year - our annual Teacher Meet & Greet! On the evening before school begins, Tuesday, August 21st, students and their parents can come to school from 4:30PM to 5:30PM and see the classrooms, meet teachers and visit with new classmates! We hope you can come!
Read Around the Block Summer 2018
Did your child(ren) complete this summer's Read Around the Block Activities? Great! On Tuesday, September 4th, we will be celebrating our Summer Reading with our K-12 Read Around the Block activities. Homeroom teachers will be giving more information soon. For now, students can keep reading until the teachers give more directions.
Morning Drop-Off Reminder
We are asking PK-5 parents to please remember that the school doors open at 7:40AM. If you drop off your child earlier than that, he/she will need to wait outside the building where there is NO supervision. SBPS and the school faculty/staff are not in the position to properly supervise students, so please do not leave them unaccompanied. If families drop off their children too early, they may be sent to extended care where your family may be charged the extended care fee. Thank you!
Welcome (back) Megan Peters, Our K-3 Reading Specialist!
We are pleased to have Megan Peters, former 1st grade teacher, serve this year as our Reading Specialist for the Lower School. She will be providing remedial reading assistance for struggling readers, as well as supporting classroom teachers on literacy best practices. We are excited about the impact she will have on student learning and teacher instruction.
There Will Be a Short Delay For 5th & 6th Grade Laptop Delivery
There is currently a shortage of certain computer parts needed for the laptops we have ordered for 4th and 5th grade. We are expecting to receive the laptops in the next few weeks. We will let everyone know when we expect to have them arrive.
Teacher Time Fridays Mornings
New this year is Teacher Time Fridays for teachers in the Lower School (Upper School implemented this last year). This means that teachers will not be seeing any students before school for tutoring, reassessments or tutoring Friday Mornings this year. This does not alter the normal arrival times. This is only for students that plan to come in "early" to see the teacher. This time is dedicated to teacher collaboration and innovation. We are also asking teachers to avoid scheduling parent meetings on Friday mornings when possible. We want our teachers to have dedicated time for collaboration. Thanks for your support!
Fourth and Fifth Grade To Eat Lunch in Cafeteria
New this year, our fourth and fifth grade students will be eating in the regular cafeteria. This will allow students to have a few more options for lunch. Please note that not all items currently available to middle school/high school will be available for these grades to purchase (we will allow the healthier options only). We also hope the seating arrangements/tables offer a more comfortable dining experience.
How to Become and Approved Volunteer: Compliance Procedures for All Volunteers
The St. Benedict Prep community welcomes volunteers to help provide students with the best educational environment and opportunities possible. We depend on family support to carry out our mission to inspire and cultivate a balance of faith, academic excellence, and individual talents in a diverse setting.
ALL VOLUNTEERS need to complete the following training and forms before they can volunteer for the school or parish events that involve positions of trust or working with children:
1. Complete an online criminal background check. CLICK HERE to begin the process. A few notes about the registration page: The access code is "protection"; choose "Archdiocese of Chicago", not "Religious Community...Volunteer." Once the registration page is completed, a checklist of pages to complete will follow. All pages must be completed before you can submit the background screening.
2. Attend Virtus/Protecting God's Children for Adults. Go to www.virtus.org, and select Registration on the left panel. Note: all participants must pre-register online to attend. Upon completion you will be given a certificate which should be turned in to the school.
3. Read and sign the Code of Conduct form and turn in to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the Code of Conduct form.
4. Complete Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking Form (CANTS). Return completed form to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the CANTS form.
We do not want to disappoint any potential volunteers or turn any volunteers away. If you have any questions, please contact either Mrs. Christine Clardy at email@example.com or Ms. Rachel Gemo at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also check with Mrs. Dodovich (email@example.com) in the office to confirm that all your requirements are fulfilled to be a volunteer at SBPS, including being a chaperone on a field trip.