The Buzz: St. Benedict Preparatory School Online Weekly Newsletter
News for Families in Grades 1-5
Upcoming Dates to Know
- Late Night Catechism Coming to St. Benedict Gymnasium Saturday, April 21st at 7:30PM
- Monday, April 23rd - 2PM 3rd Grade Dignity Revolution Prayer Service
- Wednesday, April 25th - Java with Gemo 7C's of Catholic Education
- Wednesday, April 25th - Administrative Professionals Day! Thank you Christa, Cathy, Kathy, Carol, Nancy U, Barb, Ellen, and Christine!
- Friday, May 4th – 3rd Grade Wax Museum
- Saturday, May 5th & 6th – First Holy Communion
- Sunday, May 6th – Annual K-12 Art Fair Exposition after Masses
Benny's Best for the Week of March 23rd - Congrats to Our Benny's Best!
St. Benedict Prep Young Inventors Fair a Great Success!
The Tornado Dominator. The Strategically Awesome House. The Lava Rock Explorer. These are just three of the seventy “inventions” that are being presented today at the 2018 Young Inventors Fair. Students created “inventions” addressing issues of extreme weather, Newton’s Law, and lunar exploration. Parents, visitors, and students enjoyed learning about these special projects during the morning viewing. Congratulations SBPS 3rd, 4th, & 5th grade students!
Please consider contributing your time and talent to the work of the SBPS Advisory Board!
We are looking for Board Members with expertise/experience with facilities/construction, service learning/community service & public relations/marketing - Please consider applying.
We need parents, parishioners and committed members of the community to fill openings on our Board as full board members and associate board members. The Board is composed of 16 members who server a three year term. Associate members make up the committees and commit to a one year term.
An application (CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION) is required to be considered for for both an associate and board position. For more information on the Board, our work and a list of committees please visit the advisory board page of the website.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org byFriday, March 30, 2018.
The SBPS School Advisory Board
Congratulations to our 4th and 5th Grade Honor Roll Students! Second Trimester Honor Roll
4th Grade High Honors Emory Alford, Grace Balzarini, Zach Buchar, Fiona Burke, Brionna Farley, Sadie Field, Grace Hamister, Harper Hofmann, Henry Klucznik, Keira MacMillan, James Markul, Leilani Mendez, Sophie O’Connell, Amara Patras, Emily Ryan, Emma Regnier, Elizabeth Sanderson, Jack Schlachter, Cameron Shure, Ava Stern, Olivia Tray, Fallon Urquhart, Brady Vacek, Sean Weber, Liam Wooten
4th Grade Honors Ehiremen Ativie, Nicholas Betzen, Will Chesne, Ethan Cloud, Ryan Conway, Alexander Deakins, Nicolas Donoso, Claire Duman, Bridget Fitzgerald, Shane Gallagher, William Glenn, Eloise Graft, Caroline Guzina, Luwam Hailu, Teddy Krueser, Michael Lynch, Chloe Madden, Liam McCreery, Keller McGovern, Mila Mederos, Devin Mendoza, Naomi Marie Morelos, Zoe Mirch, Maeve Ogren, Marcus Oliveri, Ethan Petrillo, Kate Radich, Quinten Rector, Reagan Stecz, Jonathan Tolentino, Thomas Trybula, Tristan Wong, Leo Aluise, Eliana Faford
4th Grade Bengal Honors Ava Gavigan, Will Hallgren, Abigail Rodriguez, John Rothweiler
5th Grade High Honors Annalyn Atwood, Alexandra Barrios, Amia Carreno, Madelyne Farrell, Bailey Ferguson, Morgan Gallagher, Isabelle Grady, Theodore Greco, Shae Griffith, Francesca Kromkowski, Sophia Lee, Claire Mangan, Anya Moore, Claire Murphy, Michael Remotigue, Peter Roarty, Francesco Sessa, Connor Schupp, Jack Van Houten, Tiernan Ryan, Quinn Urquhart
5th Grade Honors Mary Jayne Aylward, Abigail Bowles, Daniel Dace, Christina Galiano, Gavin Glibowski, Erin Guilfoyle, Peter Hortatsos, Lucinda Kirkland, Serafina Malven, Frederick Matvias, Madison Merritt, Sydney Periolat, Maximilian Pydych, Bryanna Rea, Austin Rieckelman, John Russell, Isabella Shifrin, James Van Dyke, Margaret Walsh, William Zakaras
5th Grade Bengal Honors Michael Almodovar, Nora Beach, Ella Buol, Gianni Giunta, Owen Goergen, Kara Menke, Constantine Mirch, Oscar Moffitt, Maria Teresa Morales, Fabian Munante, Elizabeth Pautsch, Anna Queroz
Save the date of this year’s portfolio night on May 10th, 2018 from 5:20 – 7:20. A sign-up genius will be sent out next Tuesday, April 24th at 4:00 so that caregivers can sign up for a 20-minute time slot to view student work.
5th Grade lock-in
On Thursday, May 10th from 7:30 – 11:30 pm, the 5th and 6th grade teachers will be hosting a lock-in for the 5th grade students. This will take place after Portfolio Night. Please save the date, and more details are to follow.
Below are the flyers for Spring Clubs. Clubs will begin the week of April 16th and conclude on June 1st. Please note that no club registration will be accepted before April 10th.
- K-1 Art Club with Ms. Tarris - Click here for flyer
- 2nd-5th Yoga in Spanish with Ms. Lyons - Flyer coming soon!
- Kindergarten Super Soccer Stars - Click here for flyer
- We are offering Chess Academy, Mad Science and Imagine Artist Academy (new!) - registration forms were sent home. If you need another one, please stop by the office and see Carol Dodovich
- K-1 Little Baker's Club with Ms. Kelley and Ms. O'Daniel - Click here for flyer
- 4th-5th Pokemon Club with Mr. Pinon - Click here for flyer
- 2nd-5th Yoga Club with Ms. Lyons - Flyer coming soon
- K-1 Building Club with Ms. Kelley - Click here for flyer
- 2nd-5th Friendship Bracelet Club with Ms. Edelen - Click here for flyer
- 3rd-5th Futsol Club with Mr. White - Click here for flyer
Dignity Prayer Service Grades K-12 - Third Grade Hosting
Our third graders are hard at work preparing in leading the Dignity Prayer Service which will be held in the Church at 2pm on Monday 4/23 for grades 1-12. All are welcome!
Annual 3rd Grade Wax Museum is Coming Up - Save the Date!
Wax Museum is set for Friday, May 4, 2018. Parent viewing on this day will be from 8:30-9:30am in the main gym. We will have a waiting area in the high school library for any parents that would like to stay at school between drop off and the start of Wax Museum. (FOR THIRD GRADE PARENTS) This past week, and into next week, our students will be using their Wax Museum book reports to complete their speeches in class. At home, students should be preparing their Wax Museum timeline. A hard copy of the rubric went home earlier this week. Students can design their boards however they want, however, the information from the rubric will need to be present (name of Wax Figure/important events in their lives with dates and a picture for each). Please see the rubric, and two example timeline trifold pictures attached to this email. Trifolds are due back to school by Tuesday, May 1.Please also remember to begin thinking of other props/costumes for your student. Students will come to school dressed as their figure. Students will also need to bring a change of clothes (their regular Friday uniform) to change into after Wax Museum. Please let me know if you have any questions.
CAMP BENGAL 2018 (added 3.22.18)
Have your Child Spend His/Her Summer with Us! Summer Camp Registration is NOW OPEN
- Themed - based creative and exploratory camps for Grades Preschool - Grade 2
- Athletic Camps for grades 1-8
- Summer Vacation Bible School - SHIPWRECKED
- Jump into Kindergarten with Ms. Tarris
Come support the St. Benedict Preparatory School Cheerleading Team at the CHICAGO FIRE as they perform pregame on May 20th against the Houston Dynamo! (added 3.15.18)
Firehouse tickets which are regularly $29 are available for only $20! Discounted parking available for only $15 (normally $20) Click here for more information.
Know someone Receiving the Sacrament of First Communion? Shop at this Local Retailer and a portion of the proceeds comes back to St. Benedict!
Celebrating the Sacraments at St.Benedict Parish and Preparatory School - Important Dates!
- May 2nd through 12th, First Communions
If you have any questions, please contact Daniel Hughes, Director of Catechesis, at email@example.com.
Day Off of School? What to Do? Don't Worry - We host 3Point Athletic Day Off Sports Camps!
If you need options for what to do with your school-age children on the days off of school (for holidays, professional development, conferences, etc), don't worry. We are fortunate to be able to offer 3Point Athletic Camps for boys and girls grades 1-8. Registration information will be forthcoming. For now, please keep these dates in mind. Camps run from 9AM to 3PM. CLICK HERE FOR WEBSITE
Friday, May 11th (Professional Development Day)
How to Become and Approved Volunteer: Compliance Procedures for All Volunteers
The St. Benedict Prep community welcomes volunteers to help provide students with the best educational environment and opportunities possible. We depend on family support to carry out our mission to inspire and cultivate a balance of faith, academic excellence, and individual talents in a diverse setting.
ALL VOLUNTEERS need to complete the following training and forms before they can volunteer for the school or parish events that involve positions of trust or working with children:
1. Complete an online criminal background check. CLICK HERE to begin the process. A few notes about the registration page: The access code is "protection"; choose "Archdiocese of Chicago", not "Religious Community...Volunteer." Once the registration page is completed, a checklist of pages to complete will follow. All pages must be completed before you can submit the background screening.
2. Attend Virtus/Protecting God's Children for Adults. Go to www.virtus.org, and select Registration on the left panel. Note: all participants must pre-register online to attend. Upon completion you will be given a certificate which should be turned in to the school.
3. Read and sign the Code of Conduct form and turn in to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the Code of Conduct form.
4. Complete Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking Form (CANTS). Return completed form to the school. CLICK HERE for a copy of the CANTS form.
We do not want to disappoint any potential volunteers or turn any volunteers away. If you have any questions, please contact either Mrs. Christine Clardy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Rachel Gemo at email@example.com. You may also check with Mrs. Dodovich (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the office to confirm that all your requirements are fulfilled to be a volunteer at SBPS, including being a chaperone on a field trip.